 Off-Topic / Debate / 12411
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 15:38:04 GMT

"Scott A" <eh105jb@mx1.pair.com> wrote in message

I hear what you are saying - you make some very good points. But lets put
China aside for a moment. Do you think we should trade with the very worst
of governments in the hope that the revenues empower workers in some small
way? Or do you think trade sanctions do have a place in the modern world?

Personally, I do think there is place for individuals not to buy the product
of a given company - or specifically favour those from a certain origin. A
few years ago in the UK it was popular to boycott the produce of companies
who invested in South Africa, and I think it did help in a small way. If
nothing else it keeps the issue in the public consciousness.

The biggest current campaign we have in the UK is "Stop Esso":
http://www.stopesso.com/

Scott A