 Off-Topic / Debate / 12416
Re: Bummer of the Week: LEGO Made in China
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:21:51 GMT

Do you think we should trade with the very worst
of governments in the hope that the revenues empower workers in some small
way? Or do you think trade sanctions do have a place in the modern world?

What a loaded topic I got into.  Like you mentioned trade sanctions worked in
South Africa, but it haven't worked for Iraq and Cuba.  It is doubtful that
trade sanctions would bring major positive changes in China.  The communist
still have tight control of their military, and they can easily pull the
'nationalism' flag to blind the people and blame the 'foreign imperialist' for
every bad things.

I can't wait to see what would happen in the 2008 Olympic.  With so many TV
life feed it can be another 1989...