 Marketplace / Theory / 418
Re: Feedback solicitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 19 Oct 1999 00:49:01 GMT

Richard Franks <spontificus@__no_spam_please_im_veggie__yahoo.com> wrote:
In lugnet.market.theory, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Here's a theory question for you. Is it wrong to solicit eBay feedback?

I've left feedback for other people based on my knowing them
by reputation even if I never did an eBay deal with them and saw nothing
wrong with doing that. (1)

(I've added a few '' pairs to any words that I condider subjective!)

I don't think that it is wrong as such, but for me it goes against the
principle of feedback. Ie. feedback is 'worth' a lot more if the person is so
truely impressed with your service that they decide of their own accord to take
the time to leave you positive feedback. Regardless of whether the dealing was
on eBay or not.

That's not how eBay feedback is seen or used.  It is almost
completely _quantity_-based.  You'll see people say, "I don't think
someone with such a low number feedback should be making comments
like that."  Even if the person has 5 purely positive comments.

There are some good people selling things on eBay.  There are also a
lot of losers selling tons of crap on there who think they're
"better" than anyone with less than 100 comments.

If it is the case that a lot of people 'conspire' together to give each other
good feedback then it's up to you whether you want to join in with that. Or you
could make a note on your eBay pages that you don't solicit feedback.

Conspire?  I HAVE dealt with Larry before.  I left feedback because
I wanted to, not because I'm conspiring with him.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/