 Marketplace / Theory / 2569
Re: Did Bricklink make Lego bulk sales irrelevent?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:46:59 GMT

.

There are two other explanations; one, the cost per brick when parting is lower
regardless of any hidden costs, or two, which is what I believe, it's not really
possible for a BL seller to charge more than Lego Bulk prices, regardless of
their cost basis.  Seriously, who would buy, if they did that?

Kevin

But you haven't thought about the volume buying large-scale retailers have
done.  They have excess inventory so they can reduce the price on it so
cheaply that other buyers like Troy can get sets for reduced cost.  Its
a shame on one hand, on the other hand, its very cool.

It allows for parting out to actually become quite profitable.
You are right that the sellers would lose if they charged more than LEGO
did, but I really don't think the hidden costs is a factor.

By selling direct to home, LEGO is able to charge whatever it wants,
keep ALL the profit, and reduce the cost.  The stuff it sells to retail,
especially to the big retailers must go through the supply-chain.

The big retailers almost always buy from the LEGO directly, bypassing
the middle-man.  They buy so much, that they are able to get killer
deals, that wouldn't be available to you or I or to smaller retailers.

When stuff doesn't sell that well, then we benefit.

Personally, and I know this sounds somewhat Jaded, I rarely buy a set
at full retail, unless I buy from the Shop @ Home.  The rest of the time,
I (patiently) wait until the sales hit.  If I am unable to purchase the set,
I know there is more than likely an outlet (Bricklink or E-bay) where I
can buy the set later on.

Just my opinions.
Ben