 Marketplace / Theory / 2504
Re: Target Exclusive Trains On Clearance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:44:22 GMT

I believe, that in general, if a new product does not move in a few weeks,
Target will blow it out.

I think this is a great strategy by Target. I'm no retail expert, but I
think selling a slow moving item at a cut price and getting fresh stock on
the shelves will generate more revenue rather than clogging the shelves with
the slow movers and management hoping the items eventually sell.
(<cough>TRU<cough>).

Whenver I go to Target, the shelves are about as immaculate as can be. And
there is usually a relatively low number of items on the shelf. The number
of items allowed on the shelf seems to vary by department. For example,
there is always tons of toothpaste and other personal car products on
display. You always need those.

But the toy, office supply, seasonal and other sections seem to have some
restrictions on how much is out. For example, there might be only one or two
computer keyboards or 6 spindles of CDRs on the shelf at a time.

Perhaps this is a sign of very tight inventory control? Or just a way to
make sure the stores always look neat and tidy.

Regardless, cheap passenger cars are a good thing.

Bryan