 Marketplace / Theory / 2325
Re: LEGO disappearing from small toyshops
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 06:36:29 GMT

Mike Walsh wrote in message ...
I managed to get a little insight into the retailer pricing from my
conversation and the few prices she shared with me were higher than I
expected.  They varied a bit but for the most part were around 60% of MSRP.
I beleive (and I could be wrong) that part of become a retailer means
sigining an agreement to sell the sets as sets and not to break them into
parts lots.  I could be wrong on this but based on the fact that I don't • see
anyone doing it, it wouldn't surprise me.

I've seen the wholesale price list/order form (with terms) here in Canada
and Mike is right :

- the terms include a clause that the sets must be sold as sets through
normal retail channels, not on the net
- the wholesale prices are not that great (30-40% less than MSRP)
- you have to pay shipping from Lego to you which eats up some of the margin
- here at least you have to pay GST, another 7% off the margin
- there is a long and indefinite delivery time
- if there are shortages, you may not get what you order

It comes down to being no better than buying at somewhere which usually has
prices lower than MSRP and waiting for sales. I would bet that there are
some BL sellers who *do* order direct from Lego - after all, no-one comes to
check whether you really have a storefront (but you need to have sales tax
numbers), but I would also bet they won't say so, for obvious reasons :-)

Kevin
TOWN Lego Building contest! http://www.lugnet.com/~41/towncomp/2002
NEW Hospital 2396 piece kit! http://www.lionsgatemodels.com/cat-hosp.htm
BrickLink Lego parts store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1