 Marketplace / Theory / 2077
Re: tips wanted: Selling Custom Kits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:21:06 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, James Brown writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Matt Penney writes:
Why are the Prices so low at Ebay right now?  A friend asked if I would help
him out by helping him sell off his collection.  Ebay isn't bringing the
results I have commonly seen in the past.  *shrug* Any gueses? Should I wait
before posting more of his collection?

At a guess, I'd say that it's a combination of eBay finally reaching a
market saturation, and the blah economy starting to trickle down to
secondhand markets.

Yep, I think so too. Seems like sales (at least on BB) started to trail off
about mid-April. They are just now showing renewed signs of life. I think this
is somewhat cyclical. I saw something similar happen (although now quite as
intense) about the same time last year (on eBay). Maybe this explains why the
big boys (WM, KM, Target, et al) were so motivated about getting rid of stuff
during the Jan-Mar time frame.

By market saturation, I mean that enough people are aware of and using eBay
that the general trend is shifting towards deal-finding, and away from "just
saw it, gotta have it, might not see it again" buying.

Ahhh, theres the word I've been waiting for someone to use... 'saturation'.
Here are a few datapoints to consider ...

Parts listed on BrickBay about the time I joined (10/2000): 250K-300K

Parts listed on BrickBay today (6/6/2001): 1,690K

Parts sold thus far on BrickBay (thru 6/6/2001): 1,610K

Sets listed on BrickBay today (6/6/2001): 9,876

Sets sold thus far on BrickBay (thru 6/6/2001): 8,667

So, in summary, about 50% of the listed parts have been sold and about 47% of
the listed sets have moved. This does not take into account any sets that people
are sitting on waiting to decide if they should list or part-out (disclaimer: I
have a few). In the large picture, this is not all that much product (vis-a-vis
TLCs production capacity), but it does appear to be a relatively large chunk of
what this market niche can absorb. Is also suggests (although not a direct
correlation) that BrickBay has a 1-year supply of parts currently listed (seeing
as how BrickBay is now approaching its 1-year birthday).

Comments anyone ?

'Course, I'm not an economist or anything like, so I'm probably out to lunch.

Ray

(fut to .market.theory)

I think that your data, while being sound by numerical standards, is flawed
by interpretation. I agree that there are as many (way more in fact) parts
available today on BB as have been sold throughout the life of the site. But
look at what 70% of the stuff is. Leftovers. Fluff. Bits too common or too
unusable to give away, let alone charge a price for.

If you are able to find a particular building component (while trying to get
past the fluff), it is very difficult to find the quantities you want. I
look for a piece I want 50 of and find sellers with one or two. Rarely do I
find people who have 10, 15 or even 25 of a really useful part. It has
happened, just not too often. This means that I either have to make several
deals or wait to find a single dealer with what I need.

Considering that the average piece costs between $.10 and $.15 - based on
retail price of a set divided by number of pieces contained, it seems odd
that the prices are so high. But then I go back to the "so many pieces that
are not very useful" statement. If you set all those aside, you end up with
the prices we see.

The thing I find humorous is that there are so many people trying to support
their buying of sets by selling ONLY the fluff - which everyone else also
has too much of. I have a huge collection. I have bins of stuff I'll
probably never use. I am reasonably certain that those same bins could not
be sold off, even at give away prices, because they are filled with the same
parts nobody else uses either.

I think that BB ought to bring back the display of information about how
long an item has been listed - it was there for a month or so, and was
really useful. Then BB ought to send reminders to sellers that an element
has been listed for more than so many (say 30 - 90) days without a sale and
suggest that the item be removed or reduced in price. This would help remove
the clutter currently on BB and make buying easier.

As for sets, I think the same statements apply - there are really
useful/desired sets - and there are tons of fluff - stuff nobody wants at
any price.

Of course there are many people who want what I generically call "the
fluff", but there are not enough of them to take care of the oversupply. So,
IMHO the market looks saturated because there is a lot of stuff listed. But
in reality, there are a lot of people out there looking for the truly hard
to find stuff (I'm in this group) and can't find it. So, I cannot subscribe
to the idea of the market being saturated - no matter how much stuff gets
listed.

My two studs worth,

Wayne