 Marketplace / Theory / 1540
Re: Cancelling orders -- a Brickbay issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2000 04:21:41 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Frank Filz writes:
I have to admit to some curiousity as to how to handle this type of situation
(buyer finds something objectionable about the item, but it is not such an
objection as to warrant negative feedback

I purchased some software from a seller on eBay who advertised it as MISB.
When the item arrived, all was well except that the box was not sealed.  I
didn't care since I was just going to open it anyway, but the box *was*
unsealed.  I chose to leave a positive feedback (because I didn't care) but
mentioned that it was not sealed (in case someone else did care).

In your case where they don't mention whether the item is smoke-free or not, I
don't see any justification for negative feedback (since smoke-free isn't
something incredibly out of the ordinary).  In a case like mine, where they
misrepresented the item, I could understand that someone would leave bad
feedback, but I wouldn't assume that they would.

Ultimately, the online fleamarket industry is going to have to deal
with these issues.

I think that we need some sort of standards for descriptions.  eBay could have
several things like "broken or incomplete item", "from smoker's home",
"stolen merchandise" (hey I'd like to know), or whatever that would need to be
selected for a listing to meet the standards.  That way we could only buy from
sellers that meet the standards, or at least we'd know if we weren't.  They
could tie this in with an "honest-sellers" program to make people use and be
accountable to it.  Coming up with the standards would probably be the hardest
part of the whole thing.

Ben Roller