 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7856
7855  |  7857
Subject:
Cancelling orders -- a Brickbay issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 15:26:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I have to start this post with praise for Brickbay.  Dan Jezek has created a
fabulous place unparalleled by any other service.  He has also been very
responsive to user feedback.  I know a number of changes that I suggested for
'Wanted Lists' have already come into place, long before I expected them.

Anyway, my issue isn't really with Brickbay much at all.  It is with a
particular seller on that service.  As such, brickbay isn't really responsible.
(As per their Terms of Service.)  However, I wanted to see if anyone else had
strong feelings about orders being cancelled, as I do.  Maybe I am in the
minority.

Well, here is what happened.  I placed an order from Kevin Stephens in early
August.  It was one of my first purchases on Brickbay.  I paid via Pay Pal, and
got my Lego parts within a few days.  Except there was one problem.  The pieces
had a strange acidic odor to them.  I gave them to my wife to smell.  She
cringed.  Honestly, the platic baggy they were packed in smelled worse.  I took
the pieces out and let them air for a few days.  The smell dissipated, and I
was satisfied.  These were pieces I have been missing forever (2x9 lt grey
hinge plates - w/ 2x5 top) and so I wasn't going to let a little smell get in
my way.  (About half of my Lego pieces have had substantial mold on them from
the storage days.)

Well, time to give feedback to the seller.  I give Positive feedback, but
because I know buyers are sensitive to smells/quality I write this:

Type: Praise      Member: Spitz(6)    Date: 8/14/2000  Ref ID: 424
very fast and efficient transaction: pieces came a little smelly

Kevin writes this:

Type: Praise      Member: Clark(34)   Date: 8/7/2000   Ref ID: 424
Fast Paypal payment. Good emails. Great customer!

Then he emails me and offers a refund, and I explain it isn't necessary.  (All
the emails between us are at the end of this post.)

I figure this is the end of the issue.  Some weeks later I place another order
at his shop.  A day later he cancels my order and writes:

Spitz,
The legos in my last shipment to you didn't meet your
expectations. I was surprised at this order. My legos
haven't changed & I do not wish to again disappoint you.
I've canceled this order. Please do not order from me
again.
Thanks,
Clark

Now, I would gladly have never ordered from him again if he had asked in the
orginal emails.  But he didn't.  He assumed I was dissatisfied and I wasn't.  I
reality I wouldn't want to buy from someone who was that mad at me.  Who knows
what they would do to the stuff I ordered?

However, the order had been placed.  He had the pieces, and I had the money.
His store did not block my orders, so I assumed everything would be ok.  The
brick bay TOS says this:

(http://www.brickbay.com/tos.asp)
---------------------------------
5. Buying.

If you bid on an item, you are obligated to complete the transaction. Bids are
not retractable. If you place an order from a shop, you are obligated to
complete the purchase.

6. Selling.

If you receive one or more bids at or above your stated minimum or reserve
price, then you are obligated to complete the transaction - UNLESS there is an
outage during the time that your auction ends. In that case, your auction
ending time will be prolonged by 24 hours.

If you have a shop and receive a valid order then you are obligated to complete
the transaction. You may not email bidders in a currently open auction being
run by a different seller, offering similar or the same item at price levels
below the current bid (bid siphoning), nor may you use an alias to place bids
on your auction.
---------------------------------

Now, I think it is clear.  If you accept an order, you must complete the
transaction.  Brickbay makes it quite clear that these should be considered
contracts.  If I were to make and order and then not follow through, I would be
violating the TOS.  If a seller does so it also appears to violate the TOS.
The only remedy listed in the terms is that the person's brickbay membership be
cancelled.

I then emailed the Brickbay admin (admittedly I was very mad at the time)
asking that Kevin Stephen's shop be closed.  No further action was taken,
except a reply to say that this incident is not grounds for Brickbay membership
termination.  (True, as Brickbay reserves the right to do it, but doesn't say
that it always will.)

So my question is this.  Does anyone else think this is essentially wrong?

My thoughts:
I know that the ability for sellers to cancel needs to exist for technical
reasons, but this is not an agreed upon cancellation.  If sellers are given the
opportunity to cancel, buyers should at least know beforehand.  Also, buyers
should be given the option to cancel, if this option is to exist.  Personally,
I don't think it should exist at all, but that is up to the Brickbay
administrator.

I also think that feedback should be allowed in response to such an action.  As
such, I couldn't find any obvious way to sumbit feedback on a cancelled order.
The order was comletely removed from my 'list of orders.'  I would suggest
Brickbay allow buyers to see cancelled orders with the ability to post
feedback.  (I was allowed in this case.)  To be fair, the sellers should be
able to do the same.  Now I suppose the issue is over for me, but I am still
interested in hearing what others have to say about it.  (If anything.)

-Alfred

Email trail: