 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 7896
Re: Cancelling orders -- a Brickbay issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:48:51 GMT

I have to agree here.  I should have talked to Clark about the smell on the
pieces, before I made a public response that he subsiquently took offense for.
However, a number of things got in the way, which may or may not help Dan to
make a better interface. :)  (If he has time--he appears to work hard enough
on this thing, already.)

First, the nature of online transactions so far has been to limit conversation
and control the transaction quite abit.  Brickbay, as well as other online
shops (such as Amazon Z-shops or Ebay) put a lot of resources into how the
transaction is run.  There are about three places where conversation outside of
the norm will occur:
1. If there is a serious question about a piece.  This is unlikely given the
large amount of data Dan provides.  Pictures, quantities, pricing arrangements
are all mostly available prior to sale.
2. When shipping/payment arrangements have to be made.  I usually pay with
paypal when I can, which typically elimates this step.  Still, I often send an
email to confirm where I should send payment.
3. After the sale.  Now, the interesting thing here is that "Feedback" can
appear to be the most appropriate place to converse at this point.  Truely, I
made a wrong choice.  To prevent others from making this wrong choice, the
system could have some sort of chat/message area to send constructive critism
to the seller.

At the time this was my thought process.  I also thought that posting a
positive feedback with constructive critism would allow buyers to judge a
seller fairly.  Ultimately that is what feedback is for, I think.  In
retrospect, maybe some people view feedback differently.  I guess it is like
grades in school, where you complain to your professor that you got a "B" when
your professor thought he was giving you praise.

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Albert Shikaze writes:
   This is turning into a "lose lose" situation.  Some earlier dialogue may
have helped.  Alfred loses because he can not buy some Lego to complete a
project.  Clark loses because he has lost a sale and a good customer.  And
the Lego community might lose because the community might lose another Lego
seller.

   This is what a good friend of mine said after his marriage broke up.
The marriage counselor suggested that they each "spill the beans" sort of
speak.  Once, they "spilled the beans", they could no longer retract the
hurtful things that had been said about each other.

   No one likes to have their order cancelled.  But attempts should be made
to resolve differences privately through dialogue.  The public forum should
be used when reasonable attempts to resolve things privately have failed.
Sometimes things are said publicly that permanently damage any potential for
a relationship.  Like my good friends marriage.   Like Humpty Dumpty,  once
its broken, it might not be possible to fix.

   Anyone want to volunteer to be a mediator ?

We don't need a mediator (Clark and I) as the damage is done.  I have no other
relationship with this person, and so I won't buy Legos from him.  There are
plenty of other Lego sellers out there for me to choose from.

-Alfred

P.S.  One of the reasons I take so much interest in this situation is that I am
an interface designer/human organizations researcher.  Just in case, you wanted
to know.