 Marketplace / Shopping / 721
  FOTW at KMART

I found a box (!) of polybags (Adventurer, City, and Space) priced at $0.99 each. [1] Add on the "buy-one-get-one-1/2-off" sale, and it was quite a find! Naji [1] I see nothing wrong with purchasing mislabeled products. Kmart, Wal-Mart, TRU, and (...) (25 years ago, 11-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) Good deal. I assume there's no point in me hitting the Kmarts now, which is ok - I'm too busy spending money on DVDs. :) (...) I've actually seen and heard of stores refusing to honor mislabeled products. 'Course, that normally ticks off the (...) (25 years ago, 11-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

It is law in Michigan. There is also a law about scanning items wrong, if the price is different, you get 10X the amount of difference between prices. I always changed the price if it was marked wrong when I was a cashier at Meijer. Scott S. (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) I'm no lawyer, but I have heard that that store was legaly obliged to sell that game for the marked price. I was told that by a retail manager while being trained on how to be a cashier when I was a kid. It could as easily be an urban legend (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) The 10X thing sounds really whacked. I still say he did the right thing. I've seen numerous products that were obviously mispriced by mistake. Can't believe any sane person would expect the law to back them up and force a store to honor a (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) I see the 10X thing as an incentive to fix things when they are wrong: the first customer who reports it may get a nice bonus, but the store should then _fix_ the problem. It really irks me when I have to spend time finding out that something (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) I don't know about the 10X thing first-hand, but I *believe* the idea is to discourage stores from having higher prices in their scanning-computer than in the displays. In this computer age, it's easy for stores to set things up so the (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

Well, I am sure some stores do mark up deliberately, but working with the Systems department at Meijer, many times, it is a screw up uploading the prices every week. Cashiers due submit forms when things come up wrong, so it can be administered to. (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

Mike Stanley wrote in message ... (...) the (...) Meijer. (...) In a way, this law makes a lot more sense than many others on the books. In my area, a certain grocery chain is notorious for mislabeling their items (well, they don't even use price (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) There's a McDonald's around here where several items (about 1/2 of those we ever get) ring up at least 5% higher than the (consistent inside and drive-through) menus show. I first discovered this when figuring that a $2 milkshake could not (...) (25 years ago, 13-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) You know what I'd do? I'd go by there on a regular basis, order LARGE quantities of food, bags full of special-order hamburgers, etc. Then, when I caught them in the act of overcharging - make a nice little scene and refuse to pay. That would (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) You have a chain called Schnucks? Cool. The possibilities for bad humor seem limitless with that name. (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  retail scams (was Re: FOTW at KMART)

(...) One option would be to refuse. If you have the endurance, just stay there arguing loudly so that everyone who comes through finds out about it. Eventually, they'll call the police and then they'll really be in trouble. (...) Unless they (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) Which chain? I haven't noticed that at Dierbergs or Schnucks. (...) Right, that's the idea. It prevents a form of bait and switch. I was trained on that law at a convenience store in St. Louis County (Rock Hill) in 1989. So the law - if I was (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

If it were me, and I thought they were intentionally misleading the public, I would contact the consumer affairs office of your state's attorney general's office. One call from the AG's office to the owner of the franchise, and I can confidently say (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.market.shopping)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) "If you're not satisfied, you can grab us by the schnucks." "We'll bet our schnukcs that you'll find what you need in our store." :-) Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

That's not bad but I was thinking more along the simple: "only a Schnuck would work there" or "this store is run by a bunch of Schmucks, er... Schnucks" (...) (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) There are lots of stores in German-speaking countries advertising Schmuck in their name. (Their proprietors don't quite see the humor, as the word means jewelry.) -gbr (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: FOTW at KMART

(...) Heh -- my lines work pretty well! "We'll bet our schnucks that you'll find what you need in our store." Innuendo not required! :-, Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 14-Sep-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)