 Marketplace / Shopping / 733
Re: FOTW at KMART
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 19:11:05 GMT

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:07:32 GMT, Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com>
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 14:23:38 GMT, Scott Edward Sanburn
<ssanburn@aeieng.com> wrote:

It is law in Michigan. There is also a law about scanning items wrong, if the
price is different, you get 10X the amount of difference between prices. I
always changed the price if it was marked wrong when I was a cashier at Meijer.

The 10X thing sounds really whacked.

I don't know about the 10X thing first-hand, but I *believe* the idea is to
discourage stores from having higher prices in their scanning-computer than
in the displays.  In this computer age, it's easy for stores to set things
up so the products/displays show one price, and the scanner rings up a
different price.  If stores are running at 2%-3% net profit (such as
grocery stores), very slight over-charges could have a strong positive
effect on their profits.

Steve