 Marketplace / Shopping / 2821
Re: Gotta clear my conscience...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:53:40 GMT

Mr L F Braun wrote:
Ergh.  Okay, I'm going to 'fess up, not that I should need to defend myself, but
there's conscience-clearing in the air, so what the heck:

1) I ordered a dozen WP sets.  I generally loathe Castle.
2) I ordered a dozen Town Folks sets.  I generally loathe Town.
3) I ordered four 6399 Nebula Outposts.  Um, those are okay. (Yes, I like
Exploriens.  No laughing.)

So what's the big deal, you say?  Well, I ordered the 1992 Town Folks with the
intention of increasing my female population and getting some torsos from my Dark
Ages to put around my ships and docks.  Not so bad, really--I ordered the WP sets
in order to open one or two and add to the diversity of my minifigs.  However, the
bulk of both sets are actually intended to be sold--not today, not (necessarily)
tomorrow, but *some day* when this pulse of 1992 sets has died down.

That may seem crass, that may seem heartless/soulless, but it's not.

It's not.  There's a difference between reselling for profit and scalping. It
seems pretty clear that you're just going to re-sell at a profit.

If you were deliberately trying to create a shortage of WP sets to drive the
price up, up, up and then sell before the market crashes - that's scalping. (One
of the worst things about capitalism, IMHO.)

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m