 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11920
Re: Sellers of Guarded Inn as if it were 6067, BE ON NOTICE!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 15:32:37 GMT

Was the Metroliner being bid on a MISB set?  If it wasn't, some of
what I'm going to say may not apply.  But if it was...

My first mistake was in the email - it wasn't a metroliner, it was a Metroliner
Club Car. I'm not sure if it was MISB or not...

I think you are making an error if you are equating the market
values of the Original ML with the Re-release.  The original, as a
collector item, is "worth" much more than the in-production set.
This is from the collector's point-of-view, not the builder's.  To
a builder they are basically the same set with equal value.  To
a collector there is a huge difference.

I wasn't trying to equate the original with the re-release, I completely
understand that they have different values, and that a collecter who wants an
original is going to pay more, that makes sense.

There is nothing "unfair" with selling an Original set when there
is a Re-release pending or in production.  The Original set still
has a unique value to collectors that should not affected by the
Re-release.  If the bidder you notified was a collector, then
he doesn't care about the Re-release because he wants the Original.
Your assessment that the bidder was going to pay "over $100 for
something that he need not" would be incorrect unless that bidder
was just wanting the set to build and play with and would be just
as happy with the Re-release.

My gut reaction when i saw the club-car going for at that moment near $100 to a
person who may or may not have known that it was going to be rereleased. I felt
bad for them paying for something that was original when they might not have
wanted or needed an original. Hence, I emailed them, making them aware that it
was going to be rereleased so they were as completely informed consumer as
could be. And when he replied to me, it was completely true that he didn't want
nor care to have an orignal, he just wanted a copy of the item in question. I'm
not sure if he went on to buy the one on ebay or not.

And that brings me back to the main point of my question - the consumer
obviously was not as informed as he should have been. What, if anything, can we
do about that? Is it our job? Or should we just stand by the "buyer beware"
axiom?