 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11502
Re: Brickbay Non-Functioning Invoice & Wanted Email
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:26:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Jan-Albert van Ree writes:
Kevin Salm wrote:

Using a program called NeoTrace, I pinged Interland and found 17 nodes
between
Brickbay.com and my own ISP.  Any one of those nodes could be ultimately
responsible for blocking my mail so it does not appear that there is much
more
I can do about things.

That's not how email works...
It goes almost always directly from the server used to send it to the
server where the reciever has an account, unless a forwarding service is
used. But I've never seen an email pass 17 mailservers.

On 06 June, email worked briefly..  This is the relevant part of the message
header from a BB distribution I received on that day...

with Microsoft SMTPSVC;
=         Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:08:35 -0400

It would seem that the outgoing mail was routed via an Interland SMTP gateway
of some type. That gateway is neither (does not have the same IP address as)
www.brickbay.com nor mail.brickbay.com . I *suspect* that Interland changed the
mail relay server to another IP/domain name, because that IP ([64.224.2.22]) now
reverses to 'meridianet.com' and the name
'ipswew0003atl2.usa.prod.interland.net' no longer resolves at all. I'm waiting
for someone to send me a more current header so I can see what ip-addr the mail
relay is set to now (and check it against the MAPS database).

Ray