 Marketplace / Auctions / 4754
Re: ebay and auczilla stats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 02:11:23 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Stanley writes:
So if person A bids on 3 lots of the same piece, one right after the
other, each for $1.00 each, the total of those 3 lots, $3.00, _isn't_
public information?  Now granted, most people probably have bids
spanning multiple pages, but I know there were times when I only bid
on a certain type of piece...

That's an extreme case, but, no, I don't think their total in that case is
public information.  The fact that they're spending $1.00 each on those three
lots is publicly available information, but if you add $1.00 + $1.00 + $1.00
and get $3.00, then the information per se about the total $3.00 is a _new_
piece of previously undisclosed information -- even if it is rather obvious
in that case.  Best to use common sense, of course...nobody's probably gonna
complain if you mention that you saw that some particular person spent $3.00,
for example.

--Todd