 Marketplace / Auctions / 4731
Re: ebay and auczilla stats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:19:46 GMT

I'm interested in this information.

LEGO-VOL has the dollar sum of auctions that ended in the past seven
days:
$61431 x 52 weeks = nearly $3.2M / year.

Wow.  To me, that's a lot of money.
But to TLC, I assume it is not-  TLC had $1.3B 1999 total sales.
ebay's "Lego" market is 0.25% that of TLC's.

The volume on ebay has probably doubled in the past 12-18 months.
If nothing were to change, and the current growth rates of TLC and ebay
were to continue, then the ebay volume might reach 1% of TLC's market
in 3 to 4 years.

It will be interesting to track this information,
especially with LEGO Direct coming online,
and to guess whether or not LEGO Direct draws dollars away from
certain lots: especially lots comprised of windows.  It may be
too late to figure that out: now that Brad Justus has announced
that some form of bulk buying will be available soon, and it
will indeed include windows, will AFOLs wait and see what the
price per piece they will offer is with the result being that
the ebay market for window lots will drop in average price?

It would be very cool to track the price of individual sets overtime.
Even if the number were not 100% accurate, it would still give new
buyers (and new sellers) an estimate to a given set's worth (on ebay).

Dan Boger wrote:

I was bored at work the other day, so I wrote a couple of little scripts, just
to see what would happen.

Ebay stats - I was wondering if I could make some sort of meter of the auctions
on ebay, somewhat like the dow jones...  Here's what I found:

LEGO-VOL for Feb 28 : $61431 (+0), 2262 (+0) auctions)
LEGO-PPL for Feb 28 : 9.00 $/Lbs (+1.00 $/Lbs), 41 (+0) auctions)
LEGO-PPP for Feb 28 : 22.10 Cents/Pc (-0.00 Cents/Pc), 216036 (+0) pieces)

LEGO-VOL - just a sum of all the auctions that ended in the past week, with at
least 1 bid, and a sum of what they went for.
LEGO-PPL - price per lbs - an average of big auctions prices
LEGO-PPP - price per piece - resolving set->piece count, an average of what you
pay for each brick... :)

Anyone interested in these?  perhaps ideas for other stats - maybe "blue-sets"?
:P

For Auczilla - I was just playing with it, trying to get some totals, how much
people are spending, etc...  But before I do anything with it, Todd - do you
mind?

-- dave