 Marketplace / Auctions / 4746
Re: ebay and auczilla stats
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 00:06:34 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Will Middelaer writes:
I'd really rather that you didn't.  Especially individual peoples'
private totals -- that's their business.  Yes, someone could write a
script to tally up how much each person is spending, but by nature it's
not really public information.

Actually, because of the way that you have designed Auczilla, it is, by
definition, public information.

No, you're mistaken.  It's not public information.

Each individual bid is publicly available information, yes.

But to tally up each person's bids from publicly available information and
then post that _new_ information (which is not publicly available) is
arguably an invasion of a bidder's privacy, and I'm sure a lot of people
would complain or at best feel uncomfortable.

Again, how much each person is spending is _not_ public information.  Each
individual bid is, yes -- but not the totals.

--Todd