 Local / United States / Minnesota / Minneapolis/St. Paul / 61
Re: Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club (GMLTC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:04:08 GMT

John is more modest than he needs to be.  The lift bridge is operational, just
not for extended periods. :) It is a very graceful lift with LEGO motors
basically crawling up the towers.  We took pictures with it in the up and down
positions at the show.  And the fountian does work, using LEGO pnematics
(spelling?) and motors to propel water into the air in the park.

The grey draw bridge is probably my favorite.  John spent a lot of time
creating an excellent counter weight system to give the bridge a smooth lift
and return.  He also engineered the far side of the draw to catch and replace
the track section into place with manual adjustment.

As for the person with the question about the blue and red train station, that
is loosely modeled on the LEGO distribution center in Enfield.  The night club
loosely on 1st Avenue here in town and the Stadium (still 10-8 Megatron over
Blacktron in the bottom of the fifth) on Midway in St. Paul.  (When I get the
motion sensor in RCX hooked in, I'm going to have the crowd occasionally cheer
the trains, like in Midway.  But don't worry fellas, not every time, that would
drive me nuts after a while too.)

Our biggest draws at the show where the incredible orange (yes LEGO orange
locomotives that John designed and Ricky copied), the motorized draw bridge,
the town scenes with Superman, Santa, Mulder & Scully, the sunken priate ship
(No pictures tho, because it's under the harbor and really hard to get a snap
shoot of, you'll have to come see that for yourselves.), and of course the town
and carinval itself.  The biggest draw in the 3 & under crowd was definitely
the Thomas engine constructed by your very own, John Neal.  I watched one three
year old watch it come out of the tunnel again and again and again.  Congrats
John.

My VCR had some problems, but when we set up for the next train show we'll have
an .AVI file of what the train sees as it goes through the layout.  Of course,
that could be July....

The web server could be a bit longer.  I need to find a home for an NT box on
someone's bandwidth.  US West had promised me DSL, but so far, they have fallen
through.  If someone in the Twin Cities area has a home for a web server, we'd
definitely be interested.

-john