 Trains / 818
Re: Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club (GMLTC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 14:53:00 GMT

As promised, here is a teaser pic:

http://my.voyager.net/lar/UMLTC_layout.jpg

Larry - Thanks for putting this out for the world to see!
Conan Collopy (much of the bricks are his and his uncle's) is in the
center area and John Gerlach (master builder of rolling stock) is in the
black shirt behind the layout.
Master builder?  <blush>

These guys are a little less purist than me, note the billboards. John
often uses decals or labelmaker labels to decorate his engines and
rolling stock. But I can deal.
The billboards on the outfield fence of the baseball stadium on the far right
are built with bricks.  The only non-brick billboard is the one on top of the
nightclub - the building just to the right of the train station, and that one
was picked up at a Lego sponsored special event.

The bridges on back right both are 'electrified' - the bascule bridge is
operated by a micromotor, the vertical lift bridge is powered by the new
technic motor.  But, we're having difficulties with the VLbridge, it might get
scrapped and redesigned.  Not everything works perfectly, my attempt at a
working water fountain (100% Lego) ended up leaking on the floor, and the
merry-go-round needs to be rebuilt with a more powerful drive system.  Oh well
- "we like to build!"

Some minor bragging about the show in La Crosse:  The show gives out two
awards.  The first, the "People's Choice" award (voted on by the general
public), went to a very deserving WWII themed layout.  They referred to their
layout as an homage to WWII movies, it had dozens of scenes from movies worked
into it.  It was fantastic!

The second award, the "Club's Choice" award (voted on by all the exibitors)
went to the GMLTC layout.  Yea for us!  I guess when we get the website up and
running we're going to need an 'awards' page...  <grin>

Special kudos to John Neal for surviving his first show with us, and for
supplying the club with awesome tshirts...

John Gerlach
  (of course, drop the ".nospam" to reply...)