 Trains / 834
833  |  835
Subject:
Two train layouts (wasRe: Greater Midwest LEGO Train Club (GMLTC)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, lugnet.loc.us.mn.msp
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 08:47:15 GMT

layouts at the same show, PNLTC did a small (last minute) show -- with a hasty
display -- on March 7th at which there was indeed two separate groups each
with its own display.  The 1999 Rollin' Rails Trainshow in Edmonds, Washington
was conducted as a para-NMRA event and the PNLTC just made show flyer copy.
This attracted a young lad of about 13 who brought a homemade layout on a 4x8
sheet of green painted plywood at the last-last minute.

Now obviously there were some differences between the two layouts but I was
really proud of this kid and gave him virtually free reign over my 70-plus
piece assortment of rolling stock to run on his simple oval when he was tired
of looking at his #4559.  Some onlookers may not have been too impressed with
the guy's efforts but, for a young teen on his own, his first public layout,
and having to learn all the ropes, I sure was excited.

Of even greater news is that the show sponsor was really impressed by the
impact LEGO trains have on the public.  He even went so far to muse about
making the event a "heavily" LEGO train affair next year.  Whoa.

1.  standard table heights are 30 and 36 inches.  PNLTC runs at two heights
which allows us to dovetail isolated loops and/or run mains over the KRR
(kid's rr).
2.  track centers are 8 studs from front edge, then 16 more, 16 more, etc.
Thus, one could (theoretically) get 6 mains across a module.  The 6-
tracklength depth also allows a full circle if need be -- but, of course, this
prohibits a second line so there is some constraints.  All in all, Ben Fleskes
did a great job of laying this out originally and it has served well.

(Larry)Transition modules are not uncommon in the regular modular model
railroad community, especially in HO, which had a lot of standards.
N-Trak dominates N gauge, I think...
dp=>yes, N-Trak is the biggie as confirmed in March's issue of MODEL
RAILROADER.  Incidentally, I picked up the issue because it featured an
article on the new oNe-Trak standard which is being developed to compliment
its bigger brother.  Included was transition modules of various designs.  I
wanted to gain some insight on how standards are developed.

Back to transition modules:  as long as the two levels of the respective
layouts are close, there's always the long bridge like clubmember Tom Rafert's
60inch wonder.  Or, if the GMLTC layout is adequately higher than the PNLTC
layout (or vice-versa), simply run tracks in an elevated manner from one
layout over the other.  As the GMLTC seems fairly fixed (whereas the PNLTC
layouts often fly by the seat of the pants) while the PNLTC layouts can
approach 20x30 feet, it might be a nice balancing effect to extend the GMLTC
lines out over the PNLTC layout.  A nice weaving and depth-effect real
railroads often do through city, countryside, and hill, yes?

dp