 Local / United Kingdom / 2579
Re: Very high-detail scans of the SW Collector's series sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.space, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 19:09:11 GMT

In lugnet.loc.uk, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Jonathan Wilson <wilsonj@xoommail.com> writes:
5) Two words:  Technic Luke.  AAAAIIIGH!  (On the other hand:  Technic Tie
Pilot.)

Nope! No Such Luck. They are not allowed to produce technic SW figs
because whoever makes the starwars action figures has an exclusive
liscence for those and technic figs are considered action figures
(but minifigs aren't)

That depends.  Are the technic-scale figs mix-n-matchable like the minifigs?
That's how they got away with the minifigs- they're "construction toys".

I think these are minifig-scale[1] anyway, which would be very cool, IMHO.

I dunno about that.  The front of the X-Wing, by the front of the canopy, is 4
studs across.  Picture a minifig sitting there.  It would look like a little
kid!  Which, I guess, would be appropriate for a Collector's Series Naboo N-1
Fighter with Anakin minifig.

One possible clue to this (that they're minifig-scale and not Technic scale)
is that the set numbers are still part of the 71xx range of the LEGO SYSTEM
Star Wars sets.  And of course, there's the R2-D2 fig.

Yeah, but the R2 fig's a little tall to begin with.  Not to mention those huge
feet.

[1] as in, real minifig-scale, not selective-compression minifig scale[2]
like the rest of the SW line.

[2] not that there's anything wrong with that.

Since the minifigs themselves have selective compression applied to them (take
a really good look at their proportions sometime), anything in "minifig scale"
is going to have some amount of the same applied.  Try building a
non-selectively-compressed minifig-scale car sometime.

To me, that selective compression is part of what's cool about minifig-scaled
models.

eric