 Local / Canada / 1058
Re: Super Duper Huge Awesome Sale!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 23:43:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Calum Tsang writes:
In lugnet.loc.ca, Kyle D. Jackson writes:
That always kills me.  I remember that happening at TRU once.
The girl said the stuff I was buying wasn't (one of the only
three sets) pictured in the ad, so it didn't apply.  I did
a lot of miming by pointing at the "ALL LEGO" in the ad and
then the big LEGO logo on the sets.  Eventually some manager-looking
lady reluctantly agreed to the sale (just to get rid of me?).

Then there's the 15-minute wait while the first attempt at the
transaction gets voided...

While I often would like to think it's the cashier being stupid, I suspect
it's actually a management problem-they're not giving their cashier
employees enough responsibility to make a call on whether or not something
is within the sale terms.  As a result, they always err on the side of
caution-who'd want to get fired over selling some Lego too cheaply?

Agreed.  I'm not griping about the cashiers, I'm griping about the
system.  In this day and age when the price pops into the cash register
by just swiping a bar code, there is no reason sales shouldn't be
automatic.  Many times it doesn't seem to work that way.  The other
thing I'm griping about are these sales that do require manual
intervention, like BOGOs, "buy any of these items and get one of
those items for free", etc.  Those make automatic pricing at the
register much more difficult.  Not impossible, but generally most
retail systems won't handle it.  In my opinion the stores should
stick to whatever their systems can handle most efficiently---a
flat percentage off sale.

Wow, I'm not even sure what I just typed..., must be sleep time  ;]

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada