 Local / Australia / 9178
Re: Statistics, Statistics, Statistics (was Re: Curator for .loc.au)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 02:29:38 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Richie Dulin writes:
[some interesting stats]

Minor correction & some new information

There were only 37 posters ... average 4.9 posts, standard deviation of 6.3

I'd missed a duplicate... :-(

Interestingly, the split was:

15.. Australian LUGNET members
14.. Australian non-LUGNET members
8... Non Australians (but I'm sure they'd like to be!)

(I didn't check the non-Australians LUGNET membership status, but off the
top of my head, I suspect that most - if not all - are members).

And looking more deeply...

Australian LUGNET members made an average of 8.5 posts
Australian non-LUGNET members made an average of 3.2 posts
Potential asylum seekers made an average of 1.1 posts

And the split of total posts in .loc.au ...

Australian LUGNET members 70%
Australian non-LUGNET members 25%
Non Australians 5%

And examining the 80/20 rule...

80% of the postings were made by 40% of the posters
20% of the posters made 62% of the postings

Should I stop now?

I for one had no idea how much I didn't know!

I find it rather interesting (and ain't that just what you'd expect from a CA?)

Richard
Still baldly going...

Cheers

Richie Dulin
Megalomaniac and amateur statistician (is there a difference?)

Quite possibly.

The International High Conclave of the Brotherhood of Megalomaniacs in
Washington is accredited to discern the difference, but it takes them years
to work it out.  They are currently working on Newton.  Even then, they'll
need the assent of the International High Conclave of the Brotherhood of
Amateur Statisticians in Washington before anyone will believe them.