 Local / Australia / 8380
Re: Vegemite Virgin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:59:35 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Paul Baulch writes:

Remember, on hot buttered toast, spread reeaally thin! So thin that all
you've done is leave tiny blobs of Vegemite on the raised parts of the
toasted surface - it will still be plenty enough. It's that concentrated a
flavour. There's really no reason not to use as little as possible, and the
taste will be sooo much more pleasant - a mellow, yeasty savoury flavour.

--

Cheers,
Paul

LUGNET member 164
http://www.geocities.com/doctorshnub/

    Hmmm.  This seems to show there is a wide disparity in how it's prepared.
I first was introduced to it by Aussie troops in SE Asia (during the
recent unpleasantness there...circa 1968) and became addicted but they tended
to spread it on thicker, like, you couldn't see the toast through the Vegemite.
They never used butter or anything else with it.  Then in the 80s when it
became fashionable to cut down salt intake I quit eating it.  I never had a
problem find it available stateside though, in major urban areas.

    I read that it is a byproduct of beer production, using the yeast remaining
after fermentation, which may or may not be true.  Anyway, since I homebrew my
own beer (Can you blame me?  Have you tasted American beer?) I attempted to
salvage the sludge at the bottom of one of my vats but it tasted not at all
like Vegemite.  Not bad though <g>.

   Tomnap
    tomnap@bersama.net