 Local / Australia / 8367
Re: Vegemite Virgin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:50:30 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:
Jon Palmer wrote:

I just bought a small 4 oz jar here in Oklahoma. (not to much of this stuff
around here) :-)

Many non-Aussies do not take to Vegemite. You have to understand that
Australian kids are usually introduced to it as babies. As it is so full of
exciting vitamins and stuff, when I was a baby, it was disolved in warm water
and fed to babies, so we pretty much grew up addicted to it. It seems more
difficult to acquire a taste for it as an adult.

When I was a kid I used to eat it by the spoonful straight from the jar.
Even used my finger when mum wasn't looking (shhhhhhhhh!)

Do not even begin to imagine that Vegemite is the same as Marmite or Promite,
both of which have some superficial similarity but taste (to my
Vegemite-trained taste buds) completely different and totally repulsive.

I concur. For more "Vegemite for non-aussies" info, you might want to ask
Maggie Cambron - a recent convert! http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=30304

I suspect you won't be wild about it.  At best you'll probably think it's
pretty good, but chocolate is way better.  If you do (as I did) and you start
eating it regularly for a few weeks straight because it's there and you don't
want it to go to waste (because most likely no one else in your family will
want to touch it), then a strange thing happens.  Suddenly one day you'll take
a bite and (I still can't exactly describe what happens) somehow you've
suddenly acclimated to it.  Then it becomes quite good.  In a familiar sort of
way.  I suppose it's the next best thing to having grown up on the stuff.

As for the difference between Vegemite and Marmite, there is a noticeable
difference in consistency-- Marmite is rather runny in comparison.  I did a
side by side taste test and though I thought detected a slight difference, I
know I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test (like the
Coke/Pepsi thing).  So on the whole I think it is like learning a foreign
language.  There is a critical period for language acquisition which extends to
around puberty.  After that one can become fluent, but it is much more
difficult to acquire the proper accent.  Likewise it's probably difficult to
detect the differences in Marmite and Vegemite for us if we haven't grown up on
one or the other.

BTW you may want to start out with unsalted butter or margarine.

Maggie C. (queen of the farfetched analogy)

For more information about Vegemite, see their WWW site:

www.vegemite.com.au

I think that just about covers everything.

ROSCO