 Local / Australia / 8341
Re: Vegemite Virgin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 05:43:04 GMT

I just bought a small 4 oz jar here in Oklahoma. (not to much of this stuff
around here) :-)
I haven't had a taste yet and I want to make sure I don't put too much on my
toast.  I just have normal white sandwhich bread right now (I know, probably
not ideal) I also have normal butter and some honey butter.

So guys, give me a little direction.  How much at first?  How toasty should
the bread be?  Lots of butter? Should I try the honey butter too?  I've had
a smell and must admit that it wasn't quite what I expected.

The bread can be white or wholemeal or whatever you like. It can be toasted or
untoasted. If you want toast, then toast it whatever way you usually like your
toast. You can also use anything else that is substitutable for bread in a
savoury circumstance, e.g. an English muffin or biscuit (as you would call
them).

You can use butter or not use butter as you prefer (I don't use butter; I like
my Vegemite straight). But I would not use honey butter or any other flavoured
butter or any other spread with Vegemite, as Vegemite is a flavour that will
win out over any other flavour.

OK, now a thin scraping of Vegemite should be applied to the bread. If the
knife is moving smoothly, you probably have it too thick. You should be
experiencing some slight drag of the knife over the bread surface because the
vegemite is so thin. (Of course, if the bread is already covered in butter,
you may not experience the "drag" effect). Think "thin", think "scrape". A
little goes a looong way. It is a strong flavour.

Eat. Enjoy! (Your mileage may vary!).

Personally, I regard Vegemite as a breakfast item, and indeed
vegemite-on-toast is one of life's easiest breakfasts. I accompany it with
orange juice or coffee.

Vegemite can also be enjoyed on crackers with a piece of cheese on top. If the
crackers are the sort with tiny holes in them, then by pushing down on the
cheese, you can make the vegemite ooze out the holes like little black worms.
Children particularly like this!

Many non-Aussies do not take to Vegemite. You have to understand that
Australian kids are usually introduced to it as babies. As it is so full of
exciting vitamins and stuff, when I was a baby, it was disolved in warm water
and fed to babies, so we pretty much grew up addicted to it. It seems more
difficult to acquire a taste for it as an adult.

Do not even begin to imagine that Vegemite is the same as Marmite or Promite,
both of which have some superficial similarity but taste (to my
Vegemite-trained taste buds) completely different and totally repulsive.

For more information about Vegemite, see their WWW site:

www.vegemite.com.au

Amongst other things, you can learn the song "We're happy little Vegemites"
which every Australian knows (a de facto national anthem really). Also there
are a series of exciting recipes if you decide that you require Vegemite at
every meal.

Kerry