 Local / Australia / 8342
Re: Vegemite Virgin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:20:12 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Kerry Raymond writes:

I just bought a small 4 oz jar here in Oklahoma. (not to much of this stuff
around here) :-)

You can use butter or not use butter as you prefer (I don't use butter; I like
my Vegemite straight).

I generally use butter or margerine, as it makes the Vegemite easier to
spread thin. But I sometimes take it straight too.

But I would not use honey butter or any other flavoured
butter or any other spread with Vegemite, as Vegemite is a flavour that will
win out over any other flavour.

Definitely.

OK, now a thin scraping of Vegemite should be applied to the bread. If the
knife is moving smoothly, you probably have it too thick. You should be
experiencing some slight drag of the knife over the bread surface because the
vegemite is so thin. (Of course, if the bread is already covered in butter,
you may not experience the "drag" effect). Think "thin", think "scrape". A
little goes a looong way. It is a strong flavour.

For beginners, less is definitely more. I've seen Vegemite Virgins swear off
the stuff forever because their first try was spread too thick.

Personally, I regard Vegemite as a breakfast item, and indeed
vegemite-on-toast is one of life's easiest breakfasts. I accompany it with
orange juice or coffee.

Also good under a fried egg (or with egg of any kind).

Many non-Aussies do not take to Vegemite. You have to understand that
Australian kids are usually introduced to it as babies. As it is so full of
exciting vitamins and stuff, when I was a baby, it was disolved in warm water
and fed to babies, so we pretty much grew up addicted to it. It seems more
difficult to acquire a taste for it as an adult.

When I was a kid I used to eat it by the spoonful straight from the jar.
Even used my finger when mum wasn't looking (shhhhhhhhh!)

Do not even begin to imagine that Vegemite is the same as Marmite or Promite,
both of which have some superficial similarity but taste (to my
Vegemite-trained taste buds) completely different and totally repulsive.

I concur. For more "Vegemite for non-aussies" info, you might want to ask
Maggie Cambron - a recent convert! http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=30304

For more information about Vegemite, see their WWW site:

www.vegemite.com.au

I think that just about covers everything.

ROSCO