 Local / Australia / 1447
  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Pretty ironic scene for a presumably violent movie (I've not seen it). I have to say that from my perspective, I don't have a strong objection to toy guns. As several people have mentioned, even when you take all the toy guns away, the kids (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) It's actually got a lot of anti-violence messages. (Mixed in with violence, of course. Gotta sell tickets.) The kid tries to teach the terminator not to kill people. (...) I'm not opposed to exposing kids to the existence of guns -- in fact, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) From my perspective it arose from discussions in loc.au of the new "coming soon" leaflet which has a blurb about the Action Wheelers and how these were for boys. This led to varied items of discussion including the behaviour of small boys, (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.general)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) He succeeded too. If only it were that simple... (...) Neither am I, but it has to be in a controlled and mature way. From the sounds of it some people would rather rewrite their kiddies wall mounted picture- alphabet to include things like "G (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I don't know of anyone here in Lugnet which I feel I know them well enough to understand their stance on guns, who would feel that way. (...) One curiousity which came to mind. How many of you are comfortable with child play which involves (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I am comfortable enough with it that my son plays that way sometimes without being hassled by me. I choose not to partake. Just like I choose not to enact gunfights with LEGO (with him...obviously I was doing just that in the pirate game). (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I think we'd be in a very crowded England. Military might was the enabler of colonialism. And maybe the world would have been a mroe fair place, but it would be very different. (...) Not I. Exposure to both is OK. (...) Me too! The more (...) (24 years ago, 24-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) I think part of the reason that no such lobby exists is because the frequency of bleach-related violence is very low, and almost no one robs a convenience store with a bottle of soap. Of course you're correct, though; the incidence of (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) firearms. (...) I do know of a young woman filling an electric Uzi-style squirtgun with bleach and using to deface people. But I agree that it's pretty rare. But, people lobbying/arguing/whining against guns invariably say that it's for the (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?

(...) Here are a few stats that you might find interesting: Did you know-- * Every 13 seconds one of America's 70 million gun owners uses a firearm in defense against a criminal? * American women use handguns 416 times a day in defense against (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) Yikes! Is that sort of sociopathy legally actionable in any way? It doesn't seem to me too far-fetched that a jerk sufficiently insecure and out of balance to threaten a 14 year old with both fist and firearm might act on his those same (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) I'm pretty sure that it would be called assault. Possibly assault with a deadly weapon. I'm sure it was a felony. My friend was startled for a moment and then recovered by shout-laughing something like 'you're going to shoot me because we (...) (24 years ago, 26-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) ingestion (...) Actually, they are trying frantically to get people to lock up dangerous chemicals and keep them away from kids, so I can't agree with this line of logic. Thinking about it more, this line of logic is: hey, people are stupid (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) What I assert is that "no one is lobbying to remove bleach from the public." And to the best of my knowledge, this is true. Trying to get people to lock their bleach away from kids is different -- in several senses -- than trying to remove (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) I (...) to (...) The purpose of bleach is not to kill people, and the purpose of handguns is, so it's kind of a misleading comparison that you are making when you talk about banning. My point was simply that people *do* consider household (...) (24 years ago, 30-Jun-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) This seems like a funny issue. I've tried to talk about it before without much success. Who gets to decide purpose? I own a handgun. Do I get to decide what it's purpose is as the owner? Does the company (Ruger) that manufactured it get to (...) (24 years ago, 1-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)

  Re: guns vs. household cleaners vs. gamers (was Re: What do other parents do with Lego guns?)

(...) much (...) The primary use of a handgun is to shoot people. If you want to go hunting, it's a poor choice. Target practice? Yes, but that's not why handguns were invented. Ruger. Good choice. Very solid. I liked my Ruger much better than (...) (24 years ago, 5-Jul-00, to lugnet.off-topic.debate)