 Local / Australia / 14459
Re: Australian Ambassadors - nominations/voting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2008 02:01:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.loc.au, Gary Quinlan wrote:

   The Australian Lego Ambassadors need to represent of ALL the Australian AFOL.

While this is good in theory, the reality is that actually finding such people is going to be problematic.

   They should also not be congregated in one location or over representative of a narrow interest group. The persons do need to be recognised by various groups, or groups they represent and be approachable and diplomatic. They must also be able to represent the most active groups within the Aust Lego community, i.e. the Train groups.

I strongly disagree that the ‘most active’ groups are necessarily the train groups. The most active Australian group I know of is a group of Australian AFOLs who meet every working day online, to discuss LEGO and the LEGO Community.

   That’s why I suggest the following parameters should be given a consideration when well decide who will be the chosen ones.

   Who ever is chosen ideally there should be; Only one from QLD, one from NSW and one from neither QLD nor NSW, i.e. the rest of Aust.. A person who is currently active in a Lego Train club A person who is currently active in a LUG group

I disagree with the importance of train clubs. The two largest gatherings of Australian AFOLs have occurred in Victoria (the two Brickventions), and I suspect the third largest was also in Victoria (the national meeting in 2001, although it might have been the 2002 meeting in Queensland). The majority of participants at these events were not particularly train-focused.

I would think that the organisers of Brickvention have been the most active – in terms of contacts within the community of AFOLS in the country in the last couple of years.

There is an assertion that is often made about the importance of train clubs presenting the LEGO hobby to the wider (non-AFOL) community. While the layouts are certainly presented to a large number of people, the effect of this is unclear, bar a few anecdotes. As has been noted recently, crowd control becomes an issue – and it’s hard to share the hobby whilst controlling a crowd.

   The Train clubs, which are the most active groups within the Aus Lego community, must have representation. Brisbane and Sydney both have primarily a very active Train group, and from my understanding, also consists of others not necessarily interested in Trains. A representative from each of these groups would in my opinion satisfy some of the parameters laid out.

It would also be appropriate that the QLD representative by determined by the residents of QLD. The NSW by NSW residents and the rest by the rest.

Except that this isn’t an exercise about selected representatives, it’s about providing nominations. Three nominations, all of whom could represent the whole community if selected.

   Whomever the ambassadors end up being they should be truly representative of the AFOL community we have in Australia.

I would phrase it as ‘as representative as possible’ or ‘have a broad knowledge and understanding of the AFOL community in this country’.

   There are many people who read Lugnet but do not post, lets make sure they are also represented and as they often only show up at events or meetings held around the country, • ...such as Brickvention... so it is important that ambassadors are involved in these groups and events when they are held, so they can hear other points of view rather than those expressed in Lugnet and other internet forums.

I would suggest that the AFOL community is largely (or partly) a product at least of those internet fora. Further, I suggest that there my well be more interaction over the ‘net than there is face-to-face.

Having said that though, and keeping in mind my comments on Brickvention above, I think that Sue Ann Barber, the key organiser of Brickvention, but who isn’t active here, would be an ideal selection.

Cheers

Richie Dulin CO Legeaux