 LEGOLAND / California / 470
Re: Ideas for Brickswest sessions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.legoland.california
Date:
Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:00:31 GMT

I completely agree with your statement that the builders at Legoland are
cheating.  I feel the same way about creations that use mostly special pieces
instead of basic blocks and the CAD creations.  I say this coming from the pre-
Lugnet, pre-Lego direct, pre-Brick(bay)link days when bulk pieces where not
available.  It cost enough just to get the basic blocks for a large project
nevermind the special pieces.

I understand feeling frustrated after visiting the park, which for an AFOL is
the same as after visiting a strip club, which is why I have never been there.

BTW, I liked your interview on the radio last week.

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Brendan Powell Smith writes:
In lugnet.events.brickswest, Frank Filz writes:
Of course having enough pieces isn't enough. You also have to have a way
to get pieces in colors not available in sets... As far as I can tell so
far, you need more than just unlimited funds to duplicate some models.
In this sense, I think they do a disservice when they claim anyone could
build the models in the park.

I agree.  After visiting LEGOland at Brickswest last year, I was, of course,
extremely impressed with the modelling skills of the professional builders,
but I was very put off by the claim, implicit or explicit, that any amateur
LEGO builder could build the same models if only they had enough parts.

As I walked through Miniland I made a mental note each time I saw them using
100's or 1000's of a part that is either extremely rare or, as Frank noted,
has never been commercially available in the color they are using.

It's frustrating to hear them make that claim when you are someone who has
spent thousands and thousands of dollars on your LEGO collection and still
know there's no chance you have the necessary parts to replicate the models
they have on display.  And it seems almost cruel that they are making that
false claim to children who wouldn't know better.

I had the idea to put together a website that would show all the ways in
which LEGOland builders "cheated", but never got around to it.

-The Rev. Brendan Powell Smith