 Events / BricksWest / 509
Re: Ideas for Brickswest sessions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickswest
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:14:39 GMT

John Gerlach wrote:

In lugnet.events.brickswest, Frank Filz writes:
Why, what better place than the place I saw evidence of TLC employees
mutilating brick? On the tour of the model shop, we were shown
models under repair that had mutilated bricks (some not even really
necessary, like cutting a  brick or plate to a smaller available size). The
Carlsbad model builders indicated though that they were proud that
they built models without the need for mutilation.

Speaking as a former employee who knows people that work(ed) in the Model
Shop in Enfield, the 'mutilations' are probably to repair a damaged model,
or to undo some incorrect building.

Since the models are glued together, the pieces don't come apart without
some *ahem* "persuation".  If a model builder makes a mistake on Tuesday and
doesn't catch it until Wednesday, they have to chisel off a day's work and
completely rebuild it.  Obviously, a chisel will "mutilate" some of the
pieces!  The idea is that once the model is rebuilt, the mutilations won't show.

If a model that has been on display comes back with something broken,
they'll cut back the broken part to someplace solid.  Then, they can rebuild
from there.

They shouldn't be mutilating pieces just to be able to build the model, that
defeats the whole point.  We should be able to build anything they have on
display, presuming we have enough pieces.

Maybe I got something wrong from the Model Shop tour, but the mutilated
brick that was pointed out to us didn't look like a repair. The Model
Shop builders told us that it came that way from the UK. Now I guess
it's possible it was a correction of a boo-boo. I may also be totally
mis-remembering anything.

The important thing though was that the Carslbad Model Builders took
pride that THEY didn't mutilate.

Of course having enough pieces isn't enough. You also have to have a way
to get pieces in colors not available in sets... As far as I can tell so
far, you need more than just unlimited funds to duplicate some models.
In this sense, I think they do a disservice when they claim anyone could
build the models in the park.

Frank