 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4109
Re: Bulk Bricks and LEGO auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 01:29:50 GMT

Having taken both surveys - and thankful for the chance to express opinions
- there is one facet that seems to have been "overlooked" in asking about
motivations of buyers.  Price.

How about a "power buyer" category that qualifies for discounts?

I teach a number of classes for elementary school kids using DACTA and
Mindstorms sets. I don't get paid much for doing so, but I enjoy doing it
and most of the kids get alot out of the experience. I have an engineering
degree but am a full time parent - hey, my wife makes more selling liquor -
blame societal priorities ;)

I purchase a great deal via eBay - and being blunt, one of my primary
motivations in doing so is price.  I expect that I've bought enough in the
past few years that I qualify for wholesale prices better better than many
small toy stores - however I don't expect that option is open to me.  It
might be but I expect I'd need a reseller tax number, business account etc
which I don't have.  Lacking the ability to buy wholesale, I attempt to buy
as cost effectively as possible. That means cruising a lot of stores
checking for bargains and price reductions - and buying at auction from
others who may have done the same - or otherwise wish to sell merchandise at
less than normal retail (we'll ignore the substantial purchases of older
technic kits and parts  - as well as classic castle stuff NOT generally
available at retail).

I doubt that Lego is oblivious to the end results of their own selling
policies.  Dumping ZNAPS meant a glut of 9V motors for far less than the $39
cost of a motor set of $16.95 cost of a motor alone.  I paid $anywhere from
$14.99 to $7.99 for motorized ZNAP sets (the lower the price, the more sets
bought - over 60 total).  Local kindergartens got the rest of the components
- and they LOVE the sets (but then they can't buy them anymore).  Tons of
Mindstorms sets "sold" through big box stores that DON't seem to do a great
job selling them means substantial markdowns - $29 Droid Development sets
for example.  CompUSA seems to have cleared out a ton of stuff at giveaway
prices - the 4.99 Darkside Developer sets were my best find.

Now, even though I'm always looking for bargains, doesn't mean that I
haven't been first in line paying full price when something new came out.  I
know that my classes spur interest in Lego products - far better than much
of Lego's own efforts.  More than a few of these kids have gone out and
bought Mindstorm sets - and a few that had them (but put them aside after
finding them too complex)went back and rediscovered them.

Frankly, buying through official DACTA and normal retail outlets is
expensive.  Having been a "diligent" buyer, I've bought far more than I
could have bought otherwise.  Working with Middle School Tech teachers, I've
helped them end run normal purchasing restrictions to add to their robotics
classes.  DACTA IS expensive - and contrary to what might be thought,
schools often just do NOT buy items when forced to buy through expensive
"official" channels.  They LOVE the Robotics Discovery sets - no longer
available and NEVER available officially to the educational market ( a GREAT
Intro to Robotics set).  I know that they are now buying cheaper K'NEX sets
to do what they might have done with DACTA sets - the choice being made on
price.

SO....... the prime focus of all this is that PRICE IS AN ISSUE.  I would
think that Lego cannot be happy with the massive discounting and clearance
prices on Mindstorms sets by Big Box stores ill-equipped to sell these
items.  I suppose enough sets get sold at regular prices, but brand dilution
must be an issue and I would think that selling the same total amount at a
lower initial price might be better than some at the high original price and
a bunch more at clearance prices.  DACTA provides a wider range of sets and
components but at prices that often result in a "no purchase" decision.
DACTA could be a gateway - an introduction - to tons of kids.  Instead,
because of price, they are NOT bought by schools and therefore kids are NOT
exposed to these products.
I know that almost all MY DACTA classroom sets (pulleys, gears, levers, and
far more) were bought on eBay for half what I would have paid (or rather NOT
paid at normal prices) from PITSCO.  THese "opportunity" purchases led to a
series of "Simple Machines" classes which kids LOVE.

There should be a way for "regular" people to get some form of bulk purchase
discount.  I would have been far happier buying direct from Lego.  Over time
figure some 3 dozen Microscout sets, 2 dozen Scout sets, and 2 dozen RCX
sets - along with tons and tons of parts.......we won't count the "regular"
Lego purchases........