 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4071
4070  |  4072
Subject:
My Opinion (was Bulk Bricks and Auctions)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 03:36:13 GMT

Good questions about the way the functionality works. This same questions
have come up in the past:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=3051

Check out the answers over there, and if I missed anything in the original
post, please let me know.

The drawback with this method is that it actually leads to a proliferation of
additional responses. If I look at the randomly selected list and don't see an
option that meets my needs, then I add it. Then I discover a couple of screens
later (here's what others thought) that there was already a response that was
more-or-less what I wanted to say, but it wasn't offered to me to choose. So
now there are 2 more-or-less identical responses in the overall set. And then
someone else (who gets offered neither) adds a 3rd more-or-less identical one
and so on.

Eventually you will get to a point where a common opinion will appear as
several identical responses by which stage most new participants will be
offered at least one of them and the proliferation hopefully slows down.

However, by this time, some participants will then (by the joy of random
choice) be offered several options that all appear to be similar. I had to
laugh at the question about "why I bought bulk bricks from places other from
S@H" when I was offered a set of responses which were almost all identical:

"too small a selection"
"not big enough range"
"choice too limited"
"not all colours available"
"not enough parts available"
etc

Frankly, I could have picked any 5 and ranked them in any order.

If Lego intends to make serious use of the data gathered, then someone will
have to go through and manually aggregate similar responses at the end of the
survey. Otherwise, a commonly-held opinion may be hidden because it appears as
a bunch of separate opinions each with a low score. Certainly if Lego just
reviews the "top 10" responses, it will result in a very distorted view of the
actual opinions.

As they say, there are lies, damned lies and statistics!

For the system to work, there needs to be a way to avoid the proliferation of
additional but effectively identical responses. One option would be ask the
person pressing "Add response" to first check through the larger list to see
if the response was actually available already. A second option would be to
ask users to flag more-or-less identical responses in their random selection,
and presumably if enough people did this, they would then be automatically
aggregated. Another way would be to have a Lego staff person manually scan the
set of responses every so often and aggregate similar responses.

Of course, if the data is used by someone reading through the entire set of
much. I think anyone reading through the set of responses to "why do your bulk
buying not at S@H" would rapidly get the message that people are disappointed
with the limited range, even if it is expressed in 20 different ways.

Kerry