 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 4075
Re: Bulk Bricks and LEGO auctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 15:01:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Benjamin Medinets writes:

I think you hit the nail entirely on the head with this one.
I am glad someone not only shares my view, but also has good enough
examples to give credence to the argument.

I think people, others and myself, have posted this before on Lugnet when they
still had the "old" page (www.lego.com/youropinion) and pointed the flaws in
their "information gathering".

I guess I'm the type of person that looks at a system like this very
selfishly.  I'm wondering, as I see these issues arise, "are they really
understanding what I as a customer am trying to tell them?"  That's my
biggest concern.

By making their initial answers vague, allowing for unlimited user input
(without any sort of review), and then by offering the user only a random
set of responses / answers (10 each out of a total population of umpteen
different (but most likely similar responses), gives them, the company
"fact" that there isn't a high response to a certain item / process
because of definite skewed survey results.

Honestly.... I was surprised to see that you had the ability to add items to
the lists.  My first thought was, "How do I know I'm not duplicating someone
else's answer, only spelling it or wording it differently."  The surveys
themselves are fantastic.  The data going in..... well, it's o.k.  But it
seems like maybe there's room for tightening it up.

Allan,  I hope what I have just said, gives weight to your argument, and
that it complements it.

BTW (Allan), I thought early in January, you imposed on yourself a ban on
posting to LUGnet....

I absolutely did stop posting.  However, I can tell you in one word what
made me start posting again yesterday.

FRUSTRATION

Seeing Andrew Black's comments in the Galidor thread just made my blood
boil.  If it's not just about the bricks anymore, then maybe things aren't
getting better as I had thought.  I stopped posting because my comments were
tending to be rather negative and contrary to many of the opinions being
expressed on LUGNET.  LEGO was doing a better job and fulfilling some of the
requests made by adult customers.  But Black's comments pointed out that
it's never too late to screw things up.

I am so frustrated that this company can't seem to keep its focus for more
than a short time.  I've said this many many times.... they need to cut
product lines, not create new ones.  They need to refocus on core items like
brick based sets, not venture out into yet another untested market.  They
need to get back to some of their classic design principles, not flirt
around with ideas that have the potential to alienate lifelong customers.
This is the time to regroup, not to experiment.

Best regards,
Allan B.

(I guess "bad" habits are hard to break....) ;-)

Benjamin Medinets