 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 3007
Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 00:03:24 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Greg Kramer writes:

2.  Lego does not see juniorization as a failure.  I can't quote Brad
directly, but to paraphrase, he did respond to one question by saying
something like "you all may hate juniorization, but that's the way kids are
today:  they want more playabilty and they get less enjoyment out of the
actual building experience".  Again, that is not a direct quote.  But the
essence I got was that Lego has no intention of abandoning juniorization.
Brad did add that he believes the product line should appeal to older ages
as well, with non-juniorized products (and he used Star Wars as an example
of current non-juniorized sets).

If Lego is moving its line in the direction of juniorization with more
playability and less construction (not polar opposites, mind you), what will
differentiate its products from, say, Fisher Price's Everyday Heros line?
(especially when the Creator/Jack Stone sculpts look so chintzy).

Do they still plan to make bricks at all in 10 years?

Jim Green

PS: I have a larger argument in response to juniorization and Lego marketing
techniques at http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=31706