 Events / BrickFest / 498
Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:34:45 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Victor Knight writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Greg Kramer writes:
1. The adult fan community is probably not as important as we like to think
we are.  Brad seemed to include us in the category of "enthusiasts", which I
think he descibed kind of vaguely as someone who really loves the brand and
has some "loyalty" to the products.  This enthusiast group may include the
2M people in the US and Canada that are in the Lego Club (the 2M figure I
remember directly, but I'm not sure if Brad used them as an example of other
enthusiasts besides us).  We may be more vocal than the rest, but our
numbers (both in people and amount we spend) pale before the rest of the
enthusiasts; and similarly the enthusiast group pales before the general
public.  Shiri's humorous advice to "treat AFOLs like alcoholics -- they buy
the majority of the product that liquor companies sell" got a response from
Brad that we definitely do *not* account for the majority of his sales,
using the example of how our Lugnet count of Guarded Inn sales was way off,
because of the flood of orders that came when the Inn appeared in the S@H
catalog.  I think this means we may be valuable us as a gauge of how other
enthusiasts may feel about products, but we are not a large enough segment
to justify creating products specifically for... the products have to appeal
to the larger enthusiast market.

I don't think your above inference is necessarily true.
Hmm, I would think that would mean more adults are buying them who do not
post here, and more are buying them who do not buy online.

What came across loud and clear is that sales to us are a very small
minority.  We alone are not enough to make or brake the projections for a
specific set.  We alone are not worth justifying creation of a new set,
service pack, or bulk offering.  Everything that LD comes out with has to
appeal to a larger enthusiast audience, or else it is not worth their
limited time and money.

The impression I got was that the other enthusiasts are not necessarily
adults (again, the 2M members of the Lego club).  A set that has appeal to
even some very small percentage of them is much more valuable to the company
than a set that appeals to the majority of us.

-Greg