 Events / BrickFest / 464
Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:59:40 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Greg Kramer writes:
As the subject says, these are inferences, not direct quotes.  But I have
given references to why I think my "read between the lines" statements are
accurate.

1. The adult fan community is probably not as important as we like to think
we are.  Brad seemed to include us in the category of "enthusiasts", which I
think he descibed kind of vaguely as someone who really loves the brand and
has some "loyalty" to the products.  This enthusiast group may include the
2M people in the US and Canada that are in the Lego Club (the 2M figure I
remember directly, but I'm not sure if Brad used them as an example of other
enthusiasts besides us).  We may be more vocal than the rest, but our
numbers (both in people and amount we spend) pale before the rest of the
enthusiasts; and similarly the enthusiast group pales before the general
public.  Shiri's humorous advice to "treat AFOLs like alcoholics -- they buy
the majority of the product that liquor companies sell" got a response from
Brad that we definitely do *not* account for the majority of his sales,
using the example of how our Lugnet count of Guarded Inn sales was way off,
because of the flood of orders that came when the Inn appeared in the S@H
catalog.  I think this means we may be valuable us as a gauge of how other
enthusiasts may feel about products, but we are not a large enough segment
to justify creating products specifically for... the products have to appeal
to the larger enthusiast market.

OK this is driving me *crazy*.  This is the second referance to the Guarded Inn
being in the S@H catalog.  Can someone provide a referance?  I am sitting with
my copy of the Summer 2001 S@H Catalog and see no referance to the Guarded Inn.

Was this some sort of insert?  Personally I havn't seen the Guarded Inn
advertised anywhere but here.

It's not that I don't believe what Brad told you all but I just havn't seen it
outside of LUGNET yet.  (except maybe shop.lego.com).

2.  Lego does not see juniorization as a failure.  I can't quote Brad
directly, but to paraphrase, he did respond to one question by saying
something like "you all may hate juniorization, but that's the way kids are
today:  they want more playabilty and they get less enjoyment out of the
actual building experience".  Again, that is not a direct quote.  But the
essence I got was that Lego has no intention of abandoning juniorization.
Brad did add that he believes the product line should appeal to older ages
as well, with non-juniorized products (and he used Star Wars as an example
of current non-juniorized sets).

This doesn't supprise me much.  I personally have never called for a removal of
Juniorization all together but I think it does take away the older
child/younger teenager from the mix.  Problem is kids grow up so fast these
days that they group out of things faster than ever before.  I have a 7 year
old nephiew and can allready see some waivering in his interest.  He is to into
video games for LEGO to hold his attention very long.  I personally think its
pretty sad but unfortunately I can't do anything about it.  All I can do is try
and keep my kid focused on things that don't involve cathode ray tubes.  Even
then I don't know how successful I will be.

Of course I don't care all that much for sets anymore anyway so my main
interest is in the expansion of the Bulk Offerings.  There are still a lot of
holes there and I would like to see them filled.

Anyone who heard it differently, please chime in.

I'm not really suprised by what I heard.  And I don't think it's the end of
the world either.  We may never see another annual catalog full of
non-juniorized town and castle sets, but the fact that Lego now makes
products specifically for "Enthusiasts" (like the 'Camel, MOT, etc) will
hopefully make up for it.

I am glad you wern't suprised.  No one should be.  Kids have been, and always
will be TLC's target audiance.  We are just here having fun as a very loud,
proud, and fun loving small nich market.

Eric Kingsley