 Events / BrickFest / 502
Re: Two things I inferred from Brad's talk at Brickfest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 18:55:44 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Kevin Loch writes:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Greg Kramer writes:
What came across loud and clear is that sales to us are a very small
minority.  We alone are not enough to make or brake the projections for a
specific set.  We alone are not worth justifying creation of a new set,

Except when you realize that the kind of things we want sell much
better than the things their marketing dept. want's to sell.  They shouldn't
make sets the way we want them because we want to buy them, but because
that's what most parents and kids want to buy too.  The problem is not
adult vs. kids, it's quality vs. crap.  Quality sells much better than
crap in the long run.  The short run is another story.

While on the hole I agree with you.  I wonder what you have to back up your
statement that "the kind of things we want sell much better that the things
their marketing dept. want's to sell"?  Was something said at Brickfest that
gave you this impression?

I am not trying to be difficult, I just want to know if something "offical" was
said to this effect.  If it was what context was it in?  For example if it is
only from a S@H perspective where you have LD stuff that is only available at
S@H competing with retail set sales at S@H then I think thats a false statement
because so much more stuff sells at retail outlets.  However if it was said
that the Sopwith Camel has been the #1 selling set this year regardless of
outlet then I would agree 100% with this statement.

Thanks,

Eric Kingsley