 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1561
Re: Contest goals? (was Re: Fansploitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 19:02:14 GMT

"Suzanne D. Rich" wrote:

In lugnet.lego.direct, Bryan Kinkel writes:
"Suzanne D. Rich" <suz@baseplate.com> wrote in message
Anyway, I'm much more excited about the upcoming Town and Ancient contests
here on LUGNET. I would love to see folks in the Trains group run their own
contest too. Then, as in the recent Space building contest, there may be no
need for prizes.

-Suz
[1] I don't mean to say it's aimed only at us. And I could explain how I
see this if anyone's interested.

Suz,
I mentioned something about an "MOC of the Year Award" type contest a few
weeks back. See http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=25531 .

When that thread was still active, I was thinking about building contests in
general and wondering if there should be more formalized, regular building
contests and displays hosted by LUGNET.

Building contests
a) are fun
b) can involve all age groups
c) as you noted, don't need prizes. Peer recognition is a thrill.
c) stimulate discussion on LUGNET about the models (the Classic Space
entries are great!)
d) show the rest of the world what you can do with the brick

What are your thoughts on this?

Bryan

Although I haven't thought about LUGNET's specific involvement, I couldn't agree
with you more about contests. Recently I've been giving this great consideration
and I believe such events can do many positive things both for individual
builders and the community as a whole.

it may be worth the start of a full-fledged discussion in another area. perhaps
in: http://news.lugnet.com/build/contests/

-Suz

Thanks for the insight Suz.  I couldn't agree with you more!  There is no way I
would ever give up ownership on a design I did.  Although I am not a train buff, I
really do marvel at the wonderful MOC's that they create.

Gary Istok