 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1558
Re: Fansploitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:42:19 GMT

  I do not think most of us want to make any money off our creations, but should
we have to give up all rights to our work? Do other contests that judge artistic
creations require that the artist relinquish all rights to the creation?
(Really, I don't know. Do they?) Another thing is that LEGO reserves the right
to use the creators "name /likeness/entry material in any manner". Fine, but
what entry material? Is entry material just the pictures (this is what I think
entry materials means), or does entry material include my address or my phone number?

  I think the contest is a great idea, but couldn't LEGO be less domineering?
Why doesn't LEGO just want a non-exclusive royalty free license? With a
non-exclusive royalty free license they can do what ever they want with the
design[2], but the creator retains some rights to the design. I guess the real
issue is that LEGO doesn't have to take away your rights to accomplish their
goals, so why do they? I guess the answer is because they never considered doing
it any other way. The worst part is that apparently Suzanne [1] told them that
some of us would be upset with the copyright issues, but they didn't care enough
to change it.

  By the way, regardless of the contest, we all have the opportunity to build
something we love, and, thanks to LUGNET, CD-ROM photo processing, and free web
servers, we all have a place to show off our creations. We also derive a lot of
satisfaction from the comments of our peers here. I doubt the 9 winners will
receive as much feedback from their peers as we do when we post here.

Chris

1. I do not mean to put words in Suzanne's mouth,  but I have not figured out
how to reference previous posts.

2. Anything that LEGO created, such as the instructions, would be their
intellectual property.

John Matthews wrote:

LEGO is giving you the opportunity to build something you love and to show
it off to everyone while they stand proudly behind you.  You want to moan
and complain about that?

Ashamed you all should be.

Build On! (or not, if the Official Rules say you won't make a bunch of money
on the deal)
John Matthews

Suzanne D. Rich <suz@baseplate.com> wrote in message
I just opened my Jan '01 S@H cat. Flipping through, I notice a few • editorial
additions -- things like "Bulk Bricks Building Tips" (which prove that • brick
packs can be made into models), and a desk clock pictured in a LEGO soccer
stadium. "That's nice," I thought to myself, "creative."

flip,flip,flip

Train page 44, "Yummy train doors and windows!"
Then looking at page 45, I'm delighted to see mention of a train car • building
contest. My mind raced to the age limit info: !! three ranges, the last • being
18-plus. "Excellent!" But my smile drained away when I realized there was • no big
prize exclaimation. That made me nervous. I had to read the text. then the • fine
print.

I knew it would happen, but it still hurts.    Buying 'em up for $100.

I thought this company would be different, they certainly could be. Worst • part
is knowing that LEGO Direct knows that I know it's dirty. Yet they expect • us to
enter anyway. not me.

-Suz