 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1562
Re: Fansploitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:58:10 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Lester Witter writes:

I think the issue with TLG may be litigation avoidance. If LEGO receives a
bunch of ideas and designs but does not obtain the rights then they must check
every new design they market against the entries to insure that there is no
similarities. Even if their internal desgn group never looked at the contest
entries and developed something independnetly, the fact that they
recieved something simiar could be a problem.

Good point. Combining subthreads... would a non exclusive royalty free
license granted at entry solve that problem? IANAL so I am just guessing
wildly but I think it might.

I have to reiterate my opinion that I feel the disparagement of this contest
is a bit overblown, and I regret I may have fueled it a bit myself.

++Lar