 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1542
1541  |  1543
Subject:
Contest goals? (was Re: Fansploitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 00:21:38 GMT

Snipped... (I got a copy of the January catalog today so I've now read the
contest rules)

In lugnet.lego.direct, Suzanne D. Rich writes:

Then looking at page 45, I'm delighted to see mention of a train car building
contest. My mind raced to the age limit info: !! three ranges, the last being
18-plus. "Excellent!" But my smile drained away when I realized there was
no big prize exclaimation.

I knew it would happen, but it still hurts.    Buying 'em up for $100.

If the goal of this contest is to acquire designs to be put into production,
there are more effective ways of doing so than having D.L Blair sift through
thousands of entries. They're not qualified to judge model quality, although
they're qualified to judge quality (curbside appeal) of the presentations.
What do they know about model nuances?

If the goal of this contest is to give some fun/excitement to the thousands
of kids who get the LD catalog, many of whom have 4561 and who are targets
for buying some  bulk, and to whom 100 bucks is still a nice prize, and to
not leave out the adults completely, (if TLC left them out completely, there
would be complaints, but it's not fair to give them larger prizes than the
kids get), then I think this contest has an excellent chance of meeting that
goal.

The fact that D. L. Blair is judging the first round means I won't be
entering, I never got points for neatness when I was in school either. But
I'm not nearly as bummed by the contest as you are, now that I read the
rules and looked at the contest presentation in context and had some time to
think.

This contest won't be crowning the all time best LEGO(r) train builder.
That's not the idea of it. Besides, we already know who it is anyway...

++Lar