 LEGO Company / LEGO Direct / 1559
Re: Fansploitation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:14:07 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I just opened my Jan '01 S@H cat. Flipping through, I notice a few editorial
additions -- things like "Bulk Bricks Building Tips" (which prove that brick
packs can be made into models), and a desk clock pictured in a LEGO soccer
stadium. "That's nice," I thought to myself, "creative."

flip,flip,flip

Train page 44, "Yummy train doors and windows!"
Then looking at page 45, I'm delighted to see mention of a train car building
contest. My mind raced to the age limit info: !! three ranges, the last being
18-plus. "Excellent!" But my smile drained away when I realized there was no • big
prize exclaimation. That made me nervous. I had to read the text. then the • fine
print.

I knew it would happen, but it still hurts.    Buying 'em up for $100.

I thought this company would be different, they certainly could be. Worst part
is knowing that LEGO Direct knows that I know it's dirty. Yet they expect us • to
enter anyway. not me.

-Suz

I think the issue with TLG may be litigation avoidance. If LEGO receives a
bunch of ideas and designs but does not obtain the rights then they must check
every new design they market against the entries to insure that there is no
similarities. Even if their internal desgn group never looked at the contest
entries and developed something independnetly, the fact that they recieved some
thing simiar could be a problem.

- Lester