 Instructions / 512
Re: Defining the "term" BI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:48:08 GMT

Reposting not FTX'd
-Orion

There are many terminologies that would be nice to lock down and they releate
to levels of hierarchy of the images (and text) that make up the instructions:

Graphical Building Instructions
   Front Cover
     Completly assembled model image
   Bill of Materials
   Back Cover
   Assembly pages
     Page number
     Backdrop
     Real sized scale indicator images (so folks can match lengths instead of
       counting studs.
     Step seperators
       horizontal or vertical bars seperating ros/columns of steps
     Assembly step(s)
       Part list image (and masks for background)
       Partial assembly image (and masks for background)
       Step number
       Sub-models (use of sub-models in the current top level model)
         Sub-model as its own set of pages
         Sub-model building steps composite image
         Sub-model building steps part list image (merged with Part List Image)

       Sub-models
         Part List Image
         Partial assembly image
         Step number
         Sub-models (use of sub-models in the current top level model)
           Sub-model as its own set of pages
           Sub-model building steps composite image
           sub-model building steps part list image (merged with part list
image)

         Composite sub-model building step images
           part list image (or merged with parent step's PLI)
           partial assembly images
           step number
           row or column seperators

THe above is a poor man's grammar that describes graphical building
instructions.  Not everything is there (arrows and such), but hopefully you
get the idea.  I think we need to pick terminology for each of these layers
and concepts.  The above says that Building Instructions can contain front
cover, bill of materials, assembly pages, back cover.

Assembly pages contain one or more assembly steps per page for the top level
model or sub-models.  An assembly step can have step number, part list image,
partial assembly image, and possibly composite images showing all steps for a
small sub-model.  Assembly pages can also have part size reference images for
axles or technic beams.

Right now LPub does not know about pages.  It only knows about steps.  I've
worked the problem from the bottom up.  Starting out primarily with
partial-assembly images and part list images.  Later BOM support was added
for the top level and possibly all sub-model levels.  Recently LPub added
support for merging these step related images into composite step images.

Next, LPub needs to add support for Assembly pages (including page size and
layout).

Finally LPub needs to add support for front cover and back cover pages.

Feedback?

Kevin

Eventually it could add s