 Instructions / 506
Re: Defining the "term" BI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:43:14 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   “snip”

   BBI came out in my mind becuase I wanted a narrow term for “polished BII in a layout”. BBI and BII are both subsets of BIs. I chose BBI to get the acroynms all with the letters “B” and “I”. BBI could also be called “Background Building Instructions”. =)

I would suggest that trying to make acronyms for the same project all similar (using ‘B’ as you noted above) will actually lead to confusion.

   Perhaps another set of words for BBI would be best?

I think there might still be some confusion (at least from where I sit) about the distinction between what you are calling BBI’s and a complete set of “Building Instructions”. I’m still hoping you can point us to a couple of graphical examples to highlight the differences.

   I like your “step images” word.

If people want to use it, by all means, that’s what it’s there for.

   And how would text-only instructions work?

Simple. Step 1. Take one 1x4 plate Step 2. Place a 1x1 brick on the 1x4 plate at bla,bla,bla...

This of course IS NOT that way to go with BIs! But it can be done. I just don’t think in this day and age that Text BIs are a good idea. =)

I’m not saying that this wouldn’t work. But I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t use it. :)

   I hope it doesn’t sound like I’m trying to rip apart your ideas, as that’s not my intention. I’m just trying to suggest some alternative routes to explore, before you commit yourself to certain decisions. If you’re going to take the time to think through these things logically (and I completely believe we should) then why not make sure it’s 100% solid before continuing?

   No problem, Allan. That is why I posted to LUGNET. I wanted others ideas and both good and bad comments I want to read. If I did not, I would have done my article and submitted it to the BI portal for posting without ever having a discussion about the terms. =)

I just sometimes feel that when trying to provide constructive criticism that is is worth while pointing out to the person that it’s their ideas that you are challenging, not the person themselves. In some contexts, this is an easy thing to confuse, especially when online posting have no tone by which to judge them.

All the best! Allan B.