 Instructions / 500
Re: Defining the "term" BI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 13:08:53 GMT

In lugnet.inst, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   I think that we need 3 words for BIs.

1. Building Instructions (BI):

Any form of communcition that can allow anyone to build a LEGO set. Can include, but is not limited to, images showing step-by-step, images showing the model in various stages, written instructions, video, live demo, finshed model, etc..

(Ex. See term 2 & 3)

2. Building Instruction Images (BII): Images, either real or electronic form, that show a series of steps on how to build a LEGO set. Usually the images are numbered or given a numerical increamental filename so that a users can put them in chronological order. (Ex. The output created by LPub)

I’ve had the difference between Building Instructions (using LEGO format as the gold standard) and Building Instruction Images in my mind for a *long* time.

In LPub you have two layers of processing: -creating building instruction images (a fairily mature process) -laying out the images into complete step images and complete step images into pages. (building instructions)

LPub has just started down its journey of creating Building Instructions from the images generated.

I really see no need for the concept of ‘basic building instructions’ either. Do you mean LEGO style building instructions?

Things on the todo list for more complete Building instruction generation in LPub: - the concept of page size (probably have to switch everything into inches or centimeters, plus DPI or an equivalent) - automatic packing and placement of step(s) on a page. - multiple “current hierarchy level” steps per page. - multiple sub-model steps on a page (but not in a packed callout) - image masks to allow for arbitrary background image for page.

LPub already has the ability to pack part list images, step numbers, construction images and packed submodel images (better than callout, right?) into a single step image. LPub does not know about page size so it cannot try to pack complete step images into pages.

   3. Basic Building Instructions (BBI): A series of images placed within a defined set of boundries have a uniform look. The defined boundries usually provide a visual framework to enclose the BIIs.

(Ex. LEGO BIs provided in LEGO sets)

Why not just Building Instructions? Building Instruction Images by themselves are not building instructions. Gathering a sequence of them together using a higher level mechanism (HTML or whatever) gathers the images together into building instructions.

Kevin