 Instructions / 511
Re: Defining the "term" BI
Newsgroups:
lugnet.inst, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 17:27:23 GMT

There are many terminologies that would be nice to lock down and they releate to levels of hierarchy of the images (and text) that make up the instructions:

Graphical Building Instructions Front Cover Completly assembled model image Bill of Materials Back Cover Assembly pages Page number Backdrop Real sized scale indicator images (so folks can match lengths instead of counting studs. Step seperators horizontal or vertical bars seperating ros/columns of steps Assembly step(s) Part list image (and masks for background) Partial assembly image (and masks for background) Step number Sub-models (use of sub-models in the current top level model) Sub-model as its own set of pages Sub-model building steps composite image Sub-model building steps part list image (merged with Part List Image)

Sub-models Part List Image Partial assembly image Step number Sub-models (use of sub-models in the current top level model) Sub-model as its own set of pages Sub-model building steps composite image sub-model building steps part list image (merged with part list image)

Composite sub-model building step images part list image (or merged with parent step’s PLI) partial assembly images step number row or column seperators

THe above is a poor man’s grammar that describes graphical building instructions. Not everything is there (arrows and such), but hopefully you get the idea. I think we need to pick terminology for each of these layers and concepts. The above says that Building Instructions can contain front cover, bill of materials, assembly pages, back cover.

Assembly pages contain one or more assembly steps per page for the top level model or sub-models. An assembly step can have step number, part list image, partial assembly image, and possibly composite images showing all steps for a small sub-model. Assembly pages can also have part size reference images for axles or technic beams.

Right now LPub does not know about pages. It only knows about steps. I’ve worked the problem from the bottom up. Starting out primarily with partial-assembly images and part list images. Later BOM support was added for the top level and possibly all sub-model levels. Recently LPub added support for merging these step related images into composite step images.

Next, LPub needs to add support for Assembly pages (including page size and layout).

Finally LPub needs to add support for front cover and back cover pages.

Feedback?

Kevin Eventually it could add s