 General / 5916
Re: New SW contest proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 08:45:44 GMT

David Thomas Jr. skrev i meddelandet ...

No, I just thought making a contest with a prize of significant value would
be a worthwhile endeavor, and by charging a small entry fee, I don't have to
shell out a big chunk of money myself.  Sure, nobody builds lego with an eye
for making a profit, but what's the sense of entering a contest if there's
nothing up for grabs?  All entries in my contest would be posted on my site,
so everybody will know how many people are entered, and how much money is in
the pot, so to speak.

As Fredrik G. said, by including a fee, you are excluding a lot of people
around the world - too much trouble to make it interesting.

Perhaps you are right though, a first contest with a logo only prize might
be in order to start the ball rolling.

For me, the honor of a (recognized/well known) logo far outweighs the value of
a (small?) prize.

Another problem with contests, for me at least, is that it's hard to build
something 'on demand'. Sometimes you have the urge to build Star Wars, then
you go to submarines, then you ray-trace for a month or so, and no building.

A contest needs a rather long time span, perhaps with 'part-goals' during
entry time, to keep interest up, and give people a chance to create.

Just my 17 öre ($ 0.02)
--
Anders Isaksson, Sweden
Gallery:   http://user.tninet.se/~hbh828t/gallery.htm