 General / 5857
Re: New SW contest proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 21:12:25 GMT

David,

I don't want to disappoint you but this is allready being done by Pat Justison:

http://home.austin.rr.com/prj/contest.html

I think it is a great idea though but I don't think we could support 2 contests
at once.

Eric,

Remove ".jawaspam" when replying.

In lugnet.general, David Thomas Jr. writes:
Hi all, I want to throw out an idea for a contest, and see what kind of
interest there is.  Currently my website
(http://soli.inav.net/~thomas/lego/main.htm)  is kind of stagnant.  I
haven't added any new models for a while, since I've been busy on Non-Lego
projects lately, and no one else has tossed any of their models my way.
I've also noticed that the SW threads have really died out since Phantom
Menace is old news, and all the new SW sets have been out for a while.

So, I want to propose a contest to try and get people building again, and to
breath some life into my site.  I know that Pat Justison has a starwars
contest going on right now, but I've noticed that there aren't really a ton
of people entering.  Part of me wonders if people are being intimidated by
certain models, and not entering because they know they don't have a chance
to win.

Here's how my contest would work.  If this first contest generates enough
interest, I will bring out more in the future.  First, the contest will
focus on a single ship/vehicle.  This first one will be a SW related
subject, but future contests may focus on other subjects.

Second, there will be an entry fee (I know, I know), of $5.00 per entry.
The proceeds from the entry fees will be used to offer up a substantial
prize for the winner.  The minimum amount of the prize (in cash) will be
$75.00, and if there aren't enough entries to add up to that amount, I will
offer up the difference.  There will not be a limit put on the total amount
for the prize, so if a 100 people enter, then the prize will be $500.00
(get all your lego buddies to enter).  If I don't get at least 5 entries,
the contest will be cancelled, and all entry fees will be returned.

Third, the contest will run for 3 months.  No pictures of the models being
entered will be put on the web (by me), until the contest concludes (to
prevent copying of ideas, and intimidation) , but all entries will be
listed.  Judging will be done after all entries are in.  I will also urge
people not to post pictures of their entries on the web or in the newsgroups
until the judging is finished.

Fourth,  judging will be 50% popular vote and 50% my vote (I will build a
model, but it won't be entered in the contest).   Judging will be broken
down into different catagories based on model
features/accuracy/scale/presentation, etc.  It will be on a 100 point basis,
and all results will be posted (so you can see how your model fared in the
judging).  Bonus points will be awarded for adhering to minifig scale, in an
attempt to even out the scoring a bit (so that huge models won't neccesarily
dominate the judging).

Fifth,  I will host a source page which will contain pictures of the subject
of the contest, that way everyone has easy access to images for detailing
and accuracy.

Sixth,  there will be a consolation prize for the runner up, probably a Lego
SW set.

Finally, submissions will require pictures (either digital or normal
photographs), or rendered images, with enough pics to show all details.  The
entry fee will have to be mailed, check or cash $5.00.  $5.00 isn't much,
but it can add up to a decent prize for the winner if enough people enter.
The more the merrier.

Please respond to this message in lugnet.starwars, I want to generate a
discussion.  If enough people seem to be interested, I will get the contest
rolling and ask that everyone do what they can to promote it so that we get
a lot of entries.

-David Thomas Jr.